Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Restaurant Week Oct 2014: WOLF Nose to Tail Dining (from Cat's perspective)

Update: WOLF has been replaced with Bar-A-Thym. The awesome female chef is now cooking at Meatsmith.

Cat meow.

Cat and Hweecat went to WOLF for Restaurant Week combined with our 300th day celebration yesterday meow.

The food we were served was premium in every sense - especially the pork.

We first suspected something fishy, or rather extremely right, when the staff member (I hesitate to call them waiters and waitresses because they dress more smartly than any of the guests) asked me whether I would like my pork medium. I asked her what she meant by medium. It is not that I did not know the word, but I thought it was out of context. Medium must obviously refer to rarity of meat, but isn't that something that we use to grade beef, not pork? Immaterial though, myself not being a fan of beef anyway, I asked her to advise me on the recommended rarity. 



foie gras parfait appetiser appetizer
Cat's appetizer: Foie Gras Parfait
The Foie Gras Parfait appetizer served to us was the biggest I have seen so far. The foie gras came with artisan bread and housemade orange marmalade, and was meant to be served as "butter" on it, making the already deliciously creamy foie gras "double" in taste. Usually, I like my food gobbled down in large amounts at high speed. This time, I actually felt like nibbling.


mangalica pork chop fatty
Cat and Hweecat's mains: Mangalica Pork Chop
The Mangalica Pork Chop that was served came with maple-glazed sweet potatoes and a bit of salad, but the highlight was the pork chop itself. When I was told by Hweecat that we would be eating pork chops, I was expecting something a lot more like what is served in the school canteen. It turned out however, that the pork tasted and felt more like beef than pork in every good way in taste, smell and texture with none of the offensive properties (that I find) of beef, not forgetting that beef is considered a higher grade meat than pork. Hence, to compare pork to beef is already a great compliment from me. I was provided with a big knife which proved necessary for cutting the huge piece of meat. As I placed the first piece of pork into my mouth, I became immediately aware of the juicy richness of the fatty meat. My long-conditioned health subconscious (no pun intended) recoiled, but immediately I realized that I would not be tasting something this delicious in a long time, nor is it as though I would get to binge on this many calories any time soon.

I ate greedily and at high speed, finding myself feeling full before I know it. As I approached the end of the main course, I commented that roast pork out there is totally a waste of money and time.

Right on cue, a staff member approached us to seek our feedback on the pork. Immediately I replied that after eating the pork, I will want to stay off roast pork in the neighbourhood for 3 weeks at least, and save the money, time and most importantly calorie allowance to eat another of these. I also told him to please tell the chef my compliments. He thanked us and left Hweecat to finish her food. 



pear tarte tatin desserts
Cat's dessert: Pear Tarte Tatin
For dessert, I had the Pear Tarte Tatin. The dessert was sweet and really crispy. The sweet pear dessert that I ordered was particularly accentuated by the crust and vanilla ice cream it came with. You'll have to try this wonderful pear dessert yourself to believe the taste I described, and that is coming from someone who teaches in country clubs routinely.

Perhaps, what makes the encounter perfect is the review of the a la carte price of the food that we ate today. We paid S$35++ per person for the set dinner, but a review of the a la carte menu revealed that the amount that we would normally have spent is closer to S$80++ per person. Last but not least, the restaurant itself earns a few bonus points because high-class places are rarely frequented by this many young people, but we saw quite a number of them when we visited yesterday.


WOLF: Nose to Tail Dining
18 Gemmill Lane
Singapore 069255

Opening Hours:
Mondays - Fridays: 11.30am - 3pm, 6pm - 11pm
Saturdays: 6pm - 12am

No comments:

Post a Comment